Vocalist.org archive

From:  didigirl1@j...
didigirl1@j...
Date:  Thu Jul 19, 2001  12:53 am
Subject:  Re: Bombing audition

Melinda,

It was odd for me to read your post about the audition because I could
have written it myself!
Judging by the responses I think a lot of us have been there.

Earlier this summer I went on audition for a musical theatre show that
would start rehearsals in late July.
That schedule seemed perfect for me. I was only auditioning for an
ensemble part. I
knew that where I auditioned was a theatre group that was more polished
and experienced
than I had auditioned for in the past. I was counting on gaining
experience with this group.
I only recently started performing in musical theatre and have only been
in three productions so far.
I have been taking voice lessons for the past 5 years. I had never been
"rejected" for an ensemble part
and was offered a major role for an audition I went on last fall that I
could not accept.

When I am in a play I always desire to have a solo part. So far I've
only had a 3 word solo!
But I am told by many that my voice is beautiful - I think one of the
hindrances to getting a
solo part is that s that I am in my 40's. I also know that I need more
acting experience and training. I sing
solo's often in other venues.

So anyway I tried out for the ensemble and didn't get a part! The thing
that bugged me is that
I know that I sang really well for the audition. I don't usually think
that when I walk out after an audition -
I usually know what I didn't do well - but that day I was certain that I
sang well! It was a tough audition -
tougher than I have been to. The 3 people who sat at a small table
barely looked up at me and acknow-
ledged my presence - no smiles - no nothing really. When I was finished
they said "thank you" and I
left.

I got a call a few weeks later to say that I didn't get a part. One of
the people had written in
their notes "strong soprano" - the person on the phone said it had
nothing to do with talent,
blah, blah, blah - they were more looking for a certain type.

It didn't matter what he said - I was DESTROYED. I've never been
rejected from an ensemble!
I didn't realize how much it bothered me until I went to my next voice
lesson. I had not shared
with my teacher that I didn't get a part - I was embarrassed. So as we
are singing - and the lesson
wasn't going well she asked me if I was okay and commented that I seemed
"tense" - I said "no,
everything is fine" and then the tears started running down my face and I
blurted out that I didn't
get a part! I didn't realize HOW MUCH the rejection bothered me.

But she told me a lot of what I've read here in responses to your e-mail.
That this isn't going to
be the first or the last rejection. That the rejection will build
character in me. That I will get tougher
because of it. That I am not the first person to be rejected.

She has had a lot of experience herself and has seen this with a number
of her students. I know
I learned something from that rejection - I haven't been on an audition
since -not because of the
rejection but because I haven't seen anything in the cast calls that I
would audition for recently and
I've wanted my summer off.

I hope some of this helps - I know that reading the responses to your
post has helped me!

Thanks,
Didi