Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Wed Jul 18, 2001  8:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Audition Song?

Patricia M Smith wrote:

(of "Joseph")

> The other female parts are mostly those of the brother's wives &, in most
> productions, you'd better be able to sing AND dance in order to get one
> of those roles.

Apart from the narrator, all the other female parts are only dancing.
And in the British tour of Joseph there are only three female dancers
throughout. They don't sing in any of it: the treble part is taken by
the large children's chorus who sit on the risers on either side of the
stage. Best way to rake in an audience is to use a lot of kids, isn't
it? Then all their family will come.

Having said that, it could be that in the production you are auditioning
for, some of this children's music would be doubled by the women, but
it's not in the original, and there's certainly no solo singing unless
it's an adaptation.

Potiphar's wife does _say_ "coma and lie with me, love", but in the tour
version which I saw about 6 times (because a friend of mine was playing
one of the brothers) this was dubbed by a rather coarse deep male voice
for comic effect.

emusic.com