Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Slightly off Broadway" <jaxsobcon@n...>
"Slightly off Broadway" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Wed Jul 18, 2001  6:07 pm
Subject:  Re:career changes

What an interesting thread.
For whatever reasons, sometimes we need
to abandon where we are and step into a new
world. We can always go back!!!
I'm taking a sabbatical from teaching singing
full time in the coming school year. I sent out
very nice letters to my students and am helping
those who wish to continue find another teacher.
I have been teaching students from age 8 - senior
citizens and it's become very draining. In the
city where I live, there are no other studios that
offer such a variety of classes as ours (we're into
the triple threat performing arts scenerio...singing/
dancing/acting) and I truly believe that I have taught
so much for the last 5 years out of a sense of guilt
because there's no where else in our city where kids
can get these 3 disciplines combined as we do.
I believe it's essential for singers to be able to act
and move on stage no matter the genre of music they
choose. We teach musical theatre, classical and even
some "pop" (I use the term loosely).
I have felt that my creativity as a writer and composer
has been stifled for a long time and I am taking this year
to submit my 6 plays to publishers and theatres as well
as write the children's book that I have had on the back
burner. I also long to write original music for my
gospel choir and do some of my own arrangements.
I chose to take a sabbatical because I do not know what
will happen after a year. I know our business will see a
substantial drop in money from the absence of all my
students but we feel that it is time for this. I may be
rejuvenated for teaching the following year or I may decide
that I have, in fact, moved in a new direction.
I agree with Wim...you have to do something you love
which far outweighs the money.
And remember...you can always change you mind back again.
Jacqueline
www.tbmall.com/slightlyoffbroadway
(gifts/costumes/classes & more)
Read my articles at:
www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre
and
www.musicaltheatreinfo.com

Have fun at:
www.geocities.com/sloffbrdway

"There's no business like show business"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13241 Re: career changes dclark   Wed  7/18/2001   4 KB
13296 Re: career changes Nancy Fontana   Mon  7/23/2001   3 KB
13247 Re: career changes Michael Eckford   Thu  7/19/2001   2 KB
13251 Re: career changes singersuki@a...   Thu  7/19/2001   2 KB

emusic.com