Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Tue Jul 17, 2001  10:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Career change

In a message dated 7/17/2001 2:58:13 PM Central Daylight Time,
w.ritzerfeld@c... writes:
w.ritzerfeld@c... writes:

> This being said I have one question for you:
> Are you really sure that your new career will make you a happier
> and more fulfilled person than you are now and are you absolutely
> sure that your mindset is not heavily influenced by your recent

VERY well put, Wim. Those are very pertinent questions, and I'll tell you
why: I have always wanted to be a singer (from the time I was 5 and found
out I could sing.) When it came time for college, I was honored with a four
year, full tuition academic scholarship to Temple University. My guitar
teacher at the time told me we could work on rep and I could enter as a music
student. I was too scared, thought I couldn't do it, etc. at the time, so I
declined and entered and graduated as a Mechanical Engineer, playing and
singing my way through college. Upon graduation, I got a job at Honeywell as
an Engineer, and thought I could now devote my after work hours to pursuing
my musical dreams while making an excellent living. It took me one year to
see how wrong I was. I realized I was spending my prime hours of the day
doing something I could care LESS about, and relegating my real love to my
off hours. My life was out of balance and backward. I then made the best move
I have ever made. I left my job and the East Coast, and came to San Francisco
to attend music school. I got work waiting tables to make my way through
school, and lived on 1/3 the money I had been making before. It was a HUGE
struggle to find my operatic voice after so many years belting pop, however,
a decade or so later, I am singing opera, just debuting in the last year at
San Francisco Opera, New York City Opera, and Opera Theater St. Louis, and I
have the deepest sense of peace and fulfillment I have ever had in my entire
life. I am on my path, and I can feel it. And THAT is priceless.
So, think long and hard about your goals, and what you want EXACTLY out of
your life. It is the only way you'll achieve the peace of mind we are all
looking for. And good luck!
TinaO

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13259 Re: Career change Imthurn Melinda   Fri  7/20/2001   2 KB
13262 Re: Career change Wim Ritzerfeld   Fri  7/20/2001   2 KB

emusic.com