Vocalist.org archive

From:  "R Ewan Stewart" <ewan.stewart@o...>
Date:  Mon May 1, 2000  10:45 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] A very strange concert

Hi all,
I have complete sympathy with Suki after such a concert. It would be
traumatic to be a performer in such a situation, and dreadful for friends of
the deceased.

I have experienced some rather lighter variants on this. Our choir sings at
retirement homes, and at once such event, an old lady died during our
performance. It wasn't dramatic, because they were all sitting down,
however the staff felt it was not unexpected because of her age and
condition, and left her in her chair until the end of the concert to avoid
disrupting things! Some of the choir didn't even know. I trust our concert
was a pleasant send-off for her - we were doing our best anyway.

On another occasion in one of our public concerts, our oldest choir member
(81 at the time I think) felt faint and collapsed just as we were about to
sing after the interval. Normally he is s bit of a tiger - a terror on the
tennis courts, swims daily, shifts the piano when it needs shifting etc (a
really fit type) so it was a bit of a shock. The ambulance took him off to
hospital, where nothing much was found, and he still sings with us! I hope
it doesn't happen again though, it doesnt do anyone much good what with
shock and worry.

Ewan Stewart,
Opus International Consultants Limited, New Zealand.
(email address: ewan.stewart@o...)

emusic.com