Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Wim Ritzerfeld" <w.ritzerfeld@c...>
"Wim Ritzerfeld" <w.ritzerfeld@c...>
Date:  Tue Jul 17, 2001  7:50 pm
Subject:  Re: Career change

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Imthurn Melinda <vocalist-temporary@y..., Imthurn Melinda < > I would love to hear from any of you who can share
> your experiences on this one. I have come to the
> exciting decision to make my living outside of music.
> There are many reasons for this, some of which I will
> share here because I would like to hear opinions and
> experiences from all of you wise folks!

Talking about wisdom: Your list of reasons for a career change
makes me think about my own wisdom :) I have been an engineer for
about twenty years, I have a well paid job, I can afford to work
only 4 days a week, Me and my wife (who is a singer/teacher by the
way) don't have any children so there is plenty of
time for music and still: I'm seriously thinking about doing exacly
the opposite of what you are intending. I'm studying music part time
and in three to four years from now it might well be that I ditch my
job and join my wife in her studio as a voice teacher. Although I
have a modest career as a singer already, I don't expect this to ever
become a substantial source of income.

Why ?

1. I will be doing something I really enjoy
2. I will be free of the stress and the madness of the electronics
industry, which will be far better for my health and well-being
3. I (we) will be our own bosses

On the down side, there will be a lot less money to spend, but we
think we can handle that. Luxury is nice, but when it comes down
to it, it doesn't really make you feel any better :)

This being said I have one question for you:

Are you really sure that your new career will make you a happier
and more fulfilled person than you are now and are you absolutely
sure that your mindset is not heavily influenced by your recent
misfortune ?

Just my two (euro)cents.

Cheers,

Wim Ritzerfeld
baritone, engineer and aspiring voice teacher
Eindhoven, The Netherlands

emusic.com