Vocalist.org archive

From:  dclark <DCLARK@r...>
dclark <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Tue Jul 17, 2001  4:57 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Career change

<mimthurn@y...> =====
>I would love to hear from any of you who can share
>your experiences on this one. I have come to the
>exciting decision to make my living outside of music.
>There are many reasons for this, some of which I will
>share here because I would like to hear opinions and
>experiences from all of you wise folks!

You have obviously done some good thinking on this issue, and because
of the reasons you outlined so well, your decision seems to be a good
one for you. I, of course, have made a lifetime career in music, and,
though there ARE a few days when I wonder why, there are far more days
when I know I chose exactly right for me. The point is that each one of us
must do exactly that -- weigh our gifts and heart's desires, and make the
choice that is right for us. Sometimes it takes a while to figure it out. I
had
a first career (6 years) as a church educator and children's choir director,
which I enjoyed immensely, but which was not as good a fit for me as my
30-year career as a college voice professor. I needed the outlet for my
own singing that my college teaching career has provided, and I enjoy
focusing more fully on the college age group, rather than spreading
myself thin working with babies to senior citizens.

In a few years it will be time to retire, and so I am trying to figure oui
what
my "third career" is going to be. Right now, the front runner is Sweet
Adelines.

Good luck to you!

Dr. Diane M. Clark, Chair
Music Dept., Rhodes College
Memphis, TN 38112
901-843-3782
http://www.rhodes.edu

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13225 Re: Career change Elizabeth Finkler   Tue  7/17/2001   3 KB
13233 Re: Career change ODivaTina@a...   Tue  7/17/2001   4 KB
13259 Re: Career change Imthurn Melinda   Fri  7/20/2001   2 KB
13262 Re: Career change Wim Ritzerfeld   Fri  7/20/2001   2 KB

emusic.com