Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Tue Jul 17, 2001  11:22 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: falsetto (was lower register)

At 12:13 AM 7/16/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Taylor and Reg:
>
>I no longer am sure how either of you use the Garcia falsetto
>concept. If you have time I would appreciate a more complete
>description of how you use this concept.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Lloyd

Lloyd as a vocal midget I can't relate terribly well to Gracia's
intentions, only what it is I do and the result it achieves.
I'll leave it to you to place it in the pigeon hole of current
technical pedagogy.

I started this with a resolve that "mf" or "f" would
be approximately the same loudness (to me), as my speaking
voice. No matter the pitch.

Next I used the descending run on the white notes from the 5th
on a "lah" and 'softly'. Starting on a low g but stepping up a
white note per run until I reached the octave higher. If the
voice wanted to go into head voice, I let it.
This, over and over to achieve the best legato I could.
(Still working on that)

Simultaneously I use the slide from the highest note possible
again softly, to the lowest, without the tone breaking. This point
I take to be the one you described in your method of extending
the low range. With practice I've been able to sing this from
top E or F (above top C) to THREE and a half octaves lower and
then back up without a tonal break. Actually F to B

According to Millers classifications, I'm a spinto. ; )

Those two things along with a support that is real, but lightly
sensitive, have given me an ability I've sought for a life time.
I'll not attempt to describe the support but without it neither
of the above is achievable.

Singing forte or a crescendo and diminuendo become only
a larger versions of what I have tried to describe and a direct
function of the support.

Of course if it is "falsetto," then it's hard to explain how the
levels of dynamic control are so firmly connected. Perhaps
Gracia had a goal of simplifying communications
by referring to this as falsetto when in fact it is obviously an
extremely light head voice. If the voice is allowed to go to the
break, as it will if the support is not correct, it is not possible
to reverse the slide. This is particularly noticeable with the first
exercises of the day.

6am if you like....... these disturb almost no one! : )

Still early days but if the results achieved in such a short
time are any indication then one of the greatest barriers to
improvement, is singing too loudly while the voice is
developing, exactly what many choirs ask of people in
training. But no doubt you knew this, I didn't.

Regards Reg.

emusic.com