Vocalist.org archive

From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Tue Jul 17, 2001  7:58 am
Subject:  Career change

I would love to hear from any of you who can share
your experiences on this one. I have come to the
exciting decision to make my living outside of music.
There are many reasons for this, some of which I will
share here because I would like to hear opinions and
experiences from all of you wise folks!

I realize, now that I have 20/20 hindsight, that this
career move is a big "DUH!", but I will bring my own
interesting experience to my new career.

Why I am going to school for engineering and changing
music to a hobby rather than my livelihood:

1. I like health insurance, sick pay, 401Ks, and
vacation pay.

2. I want to WANT to sing and teach, not to HAVE to
do them to pay the rent.

3. I have come to resent music because it is a more
difficult living than other careers.

4. My own personal talents and desires make me
capable of being an above-average, but not THE BEST,
singer and teacher, while they allow me to be superior
in the career I have chosen for the future. (Yes, I
know there are no guarantees.)

5. Now that #4 has made you wonder why I chose a
CAREER in music, I will explain here that I now
realize I chose this career to prove myself to others.
My next career choice is a heavily considered,
personally fulfilling one that truly utilizes my
greatest strengths.

6. I believe that getting back to singing and
teaching for the sheer enjoyment of it will make me
able to accomplish more as a singer and (very
part-time)teacher.

7. $$$ (Although it is not of utmost importance to
me, it does make life less stressful.)

Most of you are thinking, why in the world would
someone with these thoughts and feelings stay in the
field, but understand that these are things I am just
now realizing as I become older and oh-so-wise.
Others of you are saying, boy am I glad I kept my day
job! I'd like to hear responses from both sides! I
know you will all have interesting comments.

13229 Re: Career change Wim Ritzerfeld   Tue  7/17/2001   3 KB
13238 Re: Career change Vicki Bryant   Wed  7/18/2001   3 KB

emusic.com