Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
"michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Mon Jul 16, 2001  2:52 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: lower register

At 10:50 AM 7/15/2001 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 7/14/01 2:33:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
>lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
>

>> For example, is it possible for the cricothyroids to cause
>> longitudinal tension without the assistance of the resistance of the
>> thyroarytenoids, especially in mid range singing when the vocal
>> ligament is not yet stretched to its tension potential?

An interesting discussion. I would like to add that we know from the
discipline of physical therapy that when a muscle is not working properly,
other muscles compensate. That is what limping looks like. That is also
(I conjecture) what some singing sounds like. Some people can be
convincing in their imbalanced vocal production while doing enormous
damage. As for function, each muscle has a primary function, but, (from
what I gather in Zemlin) they work in balance. Spasmodic dysphonia may be
a good example of how neurologic disturbance can cause steadily degrading
vocal function.

By the way, we have only one muscle that opens the glottis-the posterior
cricoarytenoid. I have not read anything about the role of this muscle in
falsetto.

Good chat.
Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2122

emusic.com