Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sun Jul 15, 2001  2:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: lower register

In a message dated 7/14/01 2:33:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> For example, is it possible for the cricothyroids to cause
> longitudinal tension without the assistance of the resistance of the
> thyroarytenoids, especially in mid range singing when the vocal
> ligament is not yet stretched to its tension potential?

It would be possible, but my guess is that this would corresponde to Garcia's
form of falsetto (which is what I consider falsetto; lacking medial
compression), and would be breathy in quality. However, as pitch ascends,
the amplitude of vibration would narrow and compression would begin resulting
in a more complete tone.

> Do the cricothyroids have some function in resisting the
> thyroarytenoids in chest voice?

Not that I know of. Do they?

> Do the medial compression muscles (the lateral cricoarytenoids and
> the interarytenoids) also assist in a small manner with maintaining
> the longitudinal tension on the vocal folds even though their primary
> function is to close the vocal folds?

I have not seen or read anything to suggest this.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com