Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sat Jul 14, 2001  7:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: lower register

Dear Randy:

Your description of the function of the each muscle group is exactly
my understanding of their function. Would you care to comment on the
confusion that often exists when one set of muscles is given credit
for isolated control.?

For example, is it possible for the cricothyroids to cause
longitudinal tension without the assistance of the resistance of the
thyroarytenoids, especially in mid range singing when the vocal
ligament is not yet stretched to its tension potential?

Do the cricothyroids have some function in resisting the
thyroarytenoids in chest voice?

Do the medial compression muscles (the lateral cricoarytenoids and
the interarytenoids) also assist in a small manner with maintaining
the longitudinal tension on the vocal folds even though their primary
function is to close the vocal folds?

Although I do not have my copy of Zemlin here at the Lake I seem to
remember that he is not at all clear about what causes the arytenoids
to tip forward or backward as can be observed during some vocal
functions.

It is my understanding that the vocal mechanism can only function
properly as a coordinated unit when its inner parts interwork with
each other and provide the required antagonistic symbiosis.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice and Vocal Pedagogy, Emeritus

emusic.com