Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Sat Jul 14, 2001  4:13 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] MED: um, "tiny bladder"...

John Messmer, M.D. wrote:

>One possibility is that you don't empty your bladder efficiently.
>Around - ahem - middle age, men's bladder sphincters (the muscle that
>keeps the bladder from emptying) get tighter, some men more than others.
>This is thought of as a prostate problem, but even though the sphincter
>muscle is in the prostatic part of the urethra (which empties urine) it
>is not the prostate per se. The sphincter closes as the bladder
>pressure drops and before it has completely emptied, leaving residual
>urine inside and making it that much sooner till the urge comes again.
>
>The prostate can be completely normal and one can still have the
>problem.

Is it possible that prostate problems are often misdiagnosed?

>As common as it is, if someone presents to me with your symptoms and has
>a normal exam, I would try a course of treatment to see if it improves.
>We usually use a medication called an alpha blocker. The alpha
>adrenergic receptors in the sphincter are influenced by adrenaline;
>blocking them allows better relaxation of the sphincter and complete
>emptying of the bladder.

Another possibility would be to improve one's ability to relax (which
I guess would mean producing less adrenaline), something that all of
the clients in my Feldenkrais practice learn to do. To find a
Feldenkrais practitioner offering private lessons or group classes
near you, check out http://www.feldenkrais.com. I'd be happy to make
recommendations. If you'd like to learn about the Feldenkrais Method,
visit the site listed below, where there are two short lessons that
you could try out at home.

John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet