Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sat Jul 14, 2001  3:52 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: lower register

In a message dated 7/14/01 10:18:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> Dear Randy:
>
> Thanks for the clarification. I basically agree. The medial
> compression of which you speak I assume is applied by the same muscle
> systems that are related to those which apply the longitudinal
> tension unless, unbeknownst to me, there is a separate muscle system

The cricothyroids causes longitudinal tension in higher pitches (falsetto and
head voice), the thyroarytenoids are the regulator of pitch in chest (and
contribute to adduction somewhat in that register), but the main muscles that
contribute to medial compression (not medial tension as you have stated
several times), across all registers that compress, are the lateral
cricoarytenoids (LCA) and the interarytenoids. It's in all the physiology
books (see Zemlin) and every pedagogy book that is well researched.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13167 Re: lower register Lloyd W. Hanson   Sat  7/14/2001   4 KB

emusic.com