Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Sat Jul 14, 2001  3:48 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Young baritone needs wedding song

Ernie Valenzuela wrote:

>Placing myself in the situation of the young baritone - I would be
>gravitating toward a love song from an American or English composer.
>Someone like Cole Porter or Irving Berlin. Something like: "They say
>that falling in love is wonderful" from Annie Get Your Gun. Or "All
>the things you are" from
>Very Warm for May. Or look into a selection by George Gershwin? The
>list really is voluminous & should be considered because the literature is
>accessible, easy to learn, easy on the voice (with limitations) & everybody
>will understand what's being sung.

I agree. Here are a few standards that come to mind:

On the Street Where You Live
Fly Me to the Moon
My One and Only Love
Till There Was You
Embraceable You
The Nearness of You
Our Love is Here to Stay
Watch What Happens
I Could Write a Book
I Love You
The More I See You
My Romance
There's a Place for Us
There Will Never Be Another You
They Can't Take That Away From Me
The Second Time Around (if the bride and groom have both been married before)

I would also consider two songs by Lennon and McCartney:

And I Love Her
Here, There, and Everywhere

and one by Billy Joel:

Just the Way You Are

I also suspect that some of the songs by Antonio Carlos Jobim would
be appropriate, but I'm not familiar witht the lyrics so I don't know
which ones.

John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet