Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sat Jul 14, 2001  9:47 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: lower register

from Lloyd,
"The vocal folds are very long and under little longitudinal tension
when singing in falsetto voice and quickly change to become short and
thick in the low chest voice but still with little longitudinal
tension. The yodel is the result of this quick change and you should
not try eliminate the sound of the yodel for this exercise."

Dear Lloyd,
Just a little question about what you have written here.
I have used this exercise for some months now to great effect in gaining
ease of access to the upper register. The difference is that I never take
it down beyond the point where the lengthening apparently alters.

Am I doing the wrong thing by not going beyond that point?

Incidentally I've found that unless the rib cage is correct and the action
of the epigastric area relaxed, the lower extreme at which the change
happens is some-what higher. This has been one of the most
productive exercises I have ever used. Particularly as it influences
range ... ease of production and tonal quality. The over-riding advantage
with its use is that it is all done at such low dynamic levels.
Of course I don't call it falsetto! : )

Nice to see you're still on the list Lloyd...have you retired yet?

Regards Reg.

emusic.com