Vocalist.org archive

From:  "dredeman" <dredeman@w...>
"dredeman" <dredeman@w...>
Date:  Thu Jul 12, 2001  8:59 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Any tips for "seeing phrases"?

Dear Sandra, Lynda and co-vocalisters,

Except for Lynda, I don't agree that much with other posters and on this
subject.

In my opinion a phrase can be seen and recognised:

- musically: harmonics will tell you where the phrase goes to, the music
of the piano or the orchestra might help as well, and in general simple
things like higher notes are mostly some kind of a climax etc. help as
well

- textually: when reading a text you understand (aloud), you will phrase
automatically

In both cases there are of course often several possibilities, depending
on your interpretation, character, taste and so on, but that is also
what makes working on a piece so interesting, at least for me. In my
experience most composers give you musically excellent hints about their
thoughts about the text.

Best greetings,

Dré

emusic.com