Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Jul 12, 2001  2:52 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Any tips for "seeing phrases"?

In a message dated 7/11/2001 6:53:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sandra@b... writes:
sandra@b... writes:

<< I am at a point of transitioning from seeing and singing individual words
seeing/singing phrases. I need to improve my ability to visually seeing the
phrase, and the movement of the phrase. I tend to see "word, word, word"
and "note, note note", and then that is how I sing it. Technically (in
terms of breath support, passagio negotiation, etc), I am at a point where I
can and should be sing phrases. >>

sandra,

i can't really say i understand why you ever thought "word, word, word"
in the first place but, as you are looking for a solution...

whatever your technical approach, i am guessing you have made the
'constuction of tone' a priority over everything else. i would also guess
that the sense of motion that accompanies phrases (as opposed to the plodding
nature of "word, word, word") seems to run contrary to the sense of control
you have in that 'construction of tone'.

unless your technique is totally goofy, i believe the solution to your
problem lies in remanaging what you do. in other words, losing control to
gain control. i would make phrasing your priority and, if it seems your
technique falls apart as a result, give it, your technique, some time to
catch up. think about babies learning to walk. there is stumbling, then
they fall. when we adults walk, we are still falling. it doesn't feel
like falling anymore as, we have gotten much better at catching ourselves.
(if you have a doubt as to whether we fall while walking, ask yourself how
you could ever trip over anything. wouldn't whatever is doing the tripping
just impede forward progress?)

mike (yoda wannabe)

emusic.com