Vocalist.org archive

From:  jamesscarlett@y...
jamesscarlett@y...
Date:  Wed Jul 11, 2001  9:02 am
Subject:  Colleges?! The Good, the bad or what?

I am sure that this is something that has already been discussed in
some depth here, but I would like to hear peoples opinions good and
bad regarding studying singing at colleges at a postgraduate level.

I am a 26 year old Tenor and have now reached a point in my vocal
development that I feel as if I am getting somewhere. I have
therefore decided that this year I will apply for the 4 main London
colleges (RAM, RCM, Guildhall and Trinity)and see what happens.

I am plan to apply for the Vocal Performance Postgrade Diplomas and
not straight for the opera courses as this seems the most usual step,
although opera is ultimately what I want to sing, but most these
courses have pathways for opera.

What I am after really is peoples views on colleges verses private
study. Any particular comments regarding any of these colleges and
also regarding singing teachers at these particular colleges as to
who would be good for me would be most welcome

emusic.com