Vocalist.org archive

From:  dramadiva2002@y...
dramadiva2002@y...
Date:  Tue Jul 10, 2001  3:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Good technique/bad technique

Thanks Lloyd,

I realize my last post probably sounded defensive. I hadn't meant it
to. I know you were being your most thorough and informative and I
really appreciated your input. However, I'm glad to get the responses
I got from you and others in the group cuz let's face it, I was
obviously feeling a little self-critical when I wrote it (not really
defensive).

I also want to thank Randy for his comments because I'm afraid I am
in the "vocal overdoer" category. Hence, I'm learning to be quiet
more often from now on.

Thanks all.

DS :-)

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "Lloyd W. Hanson" <vocalist-temporary@y..., "Lloyd W. Hanson" < > Dear DS and Vocalisters

> It was not my intention to suggest that your vocal difficulties
were
> due to faulty technique. I would strongly agree with Randy that
most
> occurrences of vocal edema such as described by you in your case
are
> the result of "singing on a tired voice", that is, not giving the
> voice the necessary time to recover before using it at maximum or
> near maximum production again. The added tension of trying to meet
> new standards or expectations that are perceived by you to be at,
or
> near, your limit will only add to your tendency to overuse your
voice.

> As per the popular saying: "Give It A Rest!"
>

> --
> Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
> Professor of Voice and Vocal Pedagogy, Emeritus
> Director of Opera-Theatre, 1987-1997
> School of Performing Arts
> Northern Arizona University
> Flagstaff, AZ 86011