Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Mon Jul 9, 2001  5:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Swollen cords... advice.

Hello!

Just thought I'd add my tuppence ha'penny worth to the
swollen cords debate. On no account should you sing if
your mechanism is in any way faulty. I always advise
my students to try, if possible, not to take any sort
of drugs either. Taking drugs makes your immune system
very weak. This also applies in some respects to
hayfever allergies.

I've said this before on this list, but most people's
allergies are in the mind it seems to me: It's the
case of the bad workman blaming his tools. People
who's vocal technique is at fault are more apt to
blame it on the various bits of pollen, dairy products
etc!!

It just comes down to common sense in the end.
Sometimes we have to sing on some sort of aliment.
This is not ideal obviously, but sometimes there is no
alternative. However, throat infections, swollen
cords, do not sing. A rehearsal or a coaching is
never as important as the real performance or indeed,
the longevity of your potential career.

Best wishes,

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars!