Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Thu Jul 5, 2001  4:18 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: Swollen cords... advice.

>Maybe it's wimpy but I've just emailed them to
>cancel the coaching and we'll see how I feel about singing the
>rehearsal. I'd rather not sing until Sunday. By then I'll be off the
>steroids and will have had several days of no singing.

I don't think it is wimpy to say "no" in such a situation. I think it
takes courage.

>These are tough decisions to make. The whole point of doing these
>things is to prove yourself and get yourself lined up for future
>work. You want these people to feel they can rely on you. I'm afraid
>I'll leave this program with the stigma that I'm "unreliable." Sigh.

I suggest that if they can't understand the importance of your health
then they're not the sort of people with whom you want to work. On
the other hand, if you need to cancel frequently because of health
problems, then maybe you ought to do what you can to be healthier so
that you can be more reliable.

Good luck,
John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais