Vocalist.org archive

From:  peggyh@i...
peggyh@i...
Date:  Thu Jul 5, 2001  2:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] How to catch up...

Molly wrote:

<<I am trying to convince myself I made the right decision in not going, yet of
course I feel void of anything artistic here as I work in my boring job to help
pay for school and do little else!
Needless to say, I feel like I am falling behind. I also have an audition for
"Cosi fan tutte" coming up in late August.>>

<<I also want to know what I can do on my own to give me an edge and feel that
my summer was entirely non-musical. I am going to try my darndest not to be
jealous when people come back from their trip this summer......>>

I think it's very important for an artist to learn how to be an artist on
his/her own, away from the external structure of teachers and classes. This
summer is a great opportunity, and at the end of it, if you make the most of
your time, you will have an edge on the folks who are simply continuing the
same experience as during the school year, albeit in a different location.
Because life is not school, although it should involve continuous,
self-motivated and self-directed learning, which you must accomplish mostly on
your own, not by having tests and classes to structure your time and motivate
you.

<<I have been reading a lot of bios on great opera stars such as Beverly Sills
and Ponselle, to name a few. Not to mention tons of recordings.
What are some other suggestions? has anyone else here been in a similar place?>>

I think everyone who has graduated from an educational institution and has been
an artist has been, and still is, in a similar place. Welcome to adult life!!!

I think you are already doing great things. You mentioned listening to
recordings. Also get hold of singer and opera videos. I assume you're putting
special focus on the work you said you're auditioning for, Cosi fan tutte. You
should read everything you can find on the opera. I also recommend going to
the Opera-L archives web site and do a search on the name of the opera. There
have been many discussions about all aspects of that opera. You'll get to read
a wide variety of opinions and, combined with your own listening and
reference-reading on the opera, you can evaluate them to see which you think
have merit and which don't. These are excellent skills for the real world that
you'll be dealing with as an artist before very long. The URL is:
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/opera-l.html

I also recommend acquiring a piano/vocal score of the Cosi fan tutte if you
don't already have it, and review it as you're listening to various recordings
of the opera.

Good luck, and I encourage you to keep writing to the list over the summer
about how your self-directed artistic explorations are going.

Peggy

----
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com