Vocalist.org archive

From:  taylor23f@h...
taylor23f@h...
Date:  Wed Jul 4, 2001  6:12 pm
Subject:  Re: Swollen cords... advice.

Dear DS,

I would agree with John on this issue. I just heard a lecture
given by Dr. Mona Abaza (who studied with Robert Sataloff) who said
that she will not even prescribe steriods to a professional voice
user. Her exact words were, "I tell the singer, is one performance
worth the possibility of ruining your entire career." This comment
is not meant to scare you- just to let you know what the a well known
ENT says on the subject.
Personally, I have used steriods three times in my singing career
and have ALWAYS laid-off singing until I was completely off the
medication. The possibility of a VF hemmorhage is rather high when
on the steriods. And in most cases they give the singer a feeling of
false security in the larynx and therefore the tendency to give the
voice a "little more" thinking it's OK---when it's clearly not!
Since it's a YAP perhaps someone can cover for you until you are
well. Good Luck!

Taylor L. Ferranti
DMA Candidate Voice Science/Performance
Louisiana State University

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13035 Re: Swollen cords... advice. dramadiva2002@y...   Wed  7/4/2001   2 KB
13045 Re: Swollen cords... advice. John Link   Thu  7/5/2001   3 KB
13088 Re: Swollen cords... advice. Ian Belsey   Mon  7/9/2001   3 KB

emusic.com