Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Wed Jul 4, 2001  5:22 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Swollen cords... advice.

The main problem with steroid use for singers is it allows you to
continue to overuse your voice and not realize it. My belief is if you
are on steroids for your voice, the only singing you should do is that
which you absolutely, positively cannot avoid and then only with perfect
technique.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

I overworked my voice while simultaneously (I didn't
know this, I know it now) singing on cords covered in thick phlegm
due to allergies. I went to a doctor yesterday because the voice was
just generally feeling unresponsive and fragile and she says the
cords are swollen. Not terribly so but enough to need rest for a
week. I said I have rehearsals this week so she put me on steroids.
I'm only on day 2 now. Do any of you know how soon is ok for me to
lightly begin vocalizing? I sort of cheated and did very light (3
minutes) in the middle voice today just to check progress. It already
feels better than it had.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13034 Re: Swollen cords... advice. taylor23f@h...   Wed  7/4/2001   3 KB
13035 Re: Swollen cords... advice. dramadiva2002@y...   Wed  7/4/2001   2 KB
13045 Re: Swollen cords... advice. John Link   Thu  7/5/2001   3 KB
13088 Re: Swollen cords... advice. Ian Belsey   Mon  7/9/2001   3 KB

emusic.com