Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue Jul 3, 2001  3:34 pm
Subject:  trusting recordings,was: students who quit

Although this is something I do, and I generally agree with mike, I would
be very careful about comparing a) amateur recordings with professionally
produced ones and b) any recording with any live performance. This, because
a) a professional sound engineer is trying to maximize the positive effects
and minimize the flaws of any performer, particularily with respect to
balance, and b) microphones generally tend to be more responsive to higher
than lower frequencies, especially where male voices are concerned, so, for
instance a Bryn Terfel, known in the theatre for the resonant presence of
his voice, must be know to the wider public by his subtle phrasing and apt
characterization (thankfully present in his case), since all else can
hardly be recreated by even the hiest of fi. john

At 06:56 AM 7/1/01 -0400, you wrote:
... they can compare their singing to
>professionals' recordings and to their struggling peers. more importantly,
>they can compare their current singing to tapes they made two years ago.
>when one is making gradual progress, it is difficult to get a feel for how
>one has progressed. ...
>mike
John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico