Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Tue Jul 3, 2001  12:24 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Taping, was students who quit

Elizabeth Finkler wrote:

> When I was in college, an instructor videotaped a rehearsal of a play I was
> in. I was so thoroughly appalled by the way I looked and sounded (like a
> nauseating little-girl actress who was on TV a lot at the time), that I
> think it set back my development as a performer by several years. I *still*
> hate the way I sound on tape, even when my current teacher says I'm making
> good progress. What's to be done?

I find watching myself on tape very emotionally painful, but
also very instructive. When I've done it, my teacher told us
how to watch the tape. We had to write down three things we
liked and three things we didn't. It was hard to do, but it
was good for me. After a while, I got used to it. I also
got better as a performer, so it was a little easier to
watch myself! Think of it as going to the dentist or taking
medicine - you know it's good for you, so you scrunch up
your face and force yourself to focus on what's good and
what needs to be changed.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...