Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Mon Jul 2, 2001  9:54 pm
Subject:  Question RE auditioning for G&S

Hey gang:

I acknowledge that the fundamental difference between auditioning for
musicals and auditioning for operas is:

1) For musicals, one does NOT sing something from the show, unless
specifically asked to do so;

2) For operas, one should expect to sing something from the role you want to
play.

But Gilbert & Sullivan kind of falls in the crack between Broadway and the
opera house. I'm planning to audition for an "Iolanthe" next week, in hopes
of playing the Fairy Queen. Would it be OK to audition with her big number,
"O foolish fay," or should I do something else?

Liz

Elizabeth Finkler
Sunnyvale, California
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

"If you must be wrong, be wrong at the top of your voice!" --Lucy Van Pelt

12987 Re: Question RE auditioning for G&S Karen Mercedes   Mon  7/2/2001   4 KB
12997 Re: Question RE auditioning for G&S Trevor Allen   Tue  7/3/2001   2 KB
13005 Auditioning for Musicals (was: Auditioning for G& Karen Mercedes   Tue  7/3/2001   7 KB
13001 Re: Question RE auditioning for G&S EarlyMusik@a...   Tue  7/3/2001   2 KB
13012 Re: Question RE auditioning for G&S peggyh@i...   Tue  7/3/2001   3 KB

emusic.com