Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Mon Jul 2, 2001  6:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] RE: the value of tapes

In a message dated 7/2/2001 1:50:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
DCLARK@r... writes:
DCLARK@r... writes:

<< As a singer of long experience myself, I still regularly use a tape
recorder
when I practice. There are always surprises when I play back and hear
what I REALLY did, as opposed to what I THOUGHT I did. To each her
own.

diane,

i imagine you have also experienced, as i have, catching yourself doing
things that don't work. the use of tape gives us the ability to reflect on
whether or not what felt like a great idea at the time, actually pans out to
be one. i use tape not only as a check for the sounds i am making but, also
to check on whether i'm being full of crap or not. it is not unlikely, when
'lying on pitch' (singing fiction), to come across falsely or unconvincingly.

furthermore, the ability to reflect on one's work is an advantage used
by all other artists. imagine painting a picture and then not looking at it
(sounds like funny farm finger painting) or making a movie and not watching
it. imagine making spaghetti sauce and not tasting it.

the only reason i can think of not to tape oneself is a negative one.
there were times, when i was first singing, that i thought the results were
so bad there was no way it would ever get much better. i wanted to sing and
therefore wanted the delusion that it was going better than it really was.
i suppose that's why some people quit (isn't this part of that thread?).
they are just so discouraged and horrified by what they have been doing, they
have no choice.

mike

emusic.com