Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
"Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
Date:  Mon Jul 2, 2001  11:54 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] decisions, decisions.....

Something that has not been addressed is that if you stay as a 'just for
fun' musician but you work hard at improving (and you're as good as you hope
that you are), you are likely to reach a stage where the challenges of the
local music scene simply don't satify you any more. At this point there's a
possibility that you wont enjoy performing with the local talent and wont be
getting the satisfaction from your music that you do now.
What then ? The next level of musicians will probably be full-time
professionals and if you want to perform with them you might well have to
become one of them. By delaying you will prove to yourself that you can
reach a standard above 'local amateur/semi-pro' but will be over the age
limit for most conservatoires. Maybe you'll have gained in experience what
you lost by missing the conservatoire route ?

Tough decision !

Kevin.
(Hitting 33 next week, so almost certainly banking on the non-conservatoire
route but who knows! I have the distinct advantage of having a vibrant local
opera scene that I'm still enjoying and a distaste for creature comforts,
which may come in handy in future years. And a wife who's freelancing
writing/directing/acting/teaching drama, so isn't in a position to complain
:) )

PS Has anyone brought a case to the European Court of Human Rights on age
discrimination in European conservatories yet ?

emusic.com