Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
"Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Sat Jun 30, 2001  7:59 pm
Subject:  students who quit (long)

Hi:
I'd like to chime in on this most interesting thread.
I can come at it from both perspectives:
As a student with a piano teacher who didn't feel
compliments were necessary...and I'm one who works
better with a little encouragement...sometimes I would
find it frustrating when she was continually offering
critique and never commenting on things if they improved.
I was with her for my most difficult grades and because
she was very knowledgeable and produced terrific
pianists, I stuck it out because it was her way.
It made me aware of positive re-inforcement and
that is how I modelled my studio. My students can
never accuse me of not supporting them both when
they shine and also when they fall.
As a teacher, sometimes the student is not at the
place to accept your criticisms of them and chooses not
to improve (even if only sub-consciously). If they do not
believe that what you offer as a teacher is what they are
looking for, they may quit and it is best for both.
Other times, I've had students who are unwilling to put in
the hard work and are constantly under fire from me and
yet, they would never consider quitting. They often recognize
that they have a problem remembering things like bringing
their music or are late a lot of times or just don't practice
enough. Their standard is lower than what I expect from them
and then it becomes my decision whether or not to keep them.
Sometimes it's immaturity and my job undertakes more than
teaching them to sing (if I choose to do that).

I've made a decision this year to cut several students from my
studio who continually show a lack of focus regarding everything
from practising to performing and because I already teach
too many people, I've decided that I no longer have time to
devote to people who require so much more attention. I know some
of them will be extremely disappointed, but I am becoming frustrated
with dealing with such irresponsibility.

Basically, my point is that there are many reasons why someone
chooses to quit or move on and that both students and teachers
find certain situations unproductive or just not for them. Sometimes,
it takes you by surprise and sometimes it just feels right.

jacqueline

www.tbmall.com/slightlyoffbroadway
(gifts/costumes/classes & more)
Read my articles at:
www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre
and
Have fun at:
www.geocities.com/sloffbrdway

"There's no business like show business"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12960 Re: students who quit (long) ODivaTina@a...   Sun  7/1/2001   3 KB

emusic.com