Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
"Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
Date:  Fri Jun 29, 2001  4:20 pm
Subject:  Re: Degrees

I actually have to make admission decisions like this on a fairly
regular basis. If there is enough music, I will tend to accpet
someone as a master's student. What we expect is that someone will
have the equivalent coursework of our undergraduate degree. If not,
then the missing courses must be taken as deficiencies. (For example,
some schools do not require vocal literature and/or vocal pedagogy.)
We also administer entrance exams in music history and music theory.

There have been applications that have come in from people with
degrees outside of music, and only minimal music coursework. In this
case, we recommend a second bachelor's degree. This allows one to
just take the music courses and does not require the
university "core" courses.

I imagine other institutions will have similar procedures.

emusic.com