Vocalist.org archive

From:  Erica Zweig <ezweig@e...>
Erica Zweig <ezweig@e...>
Date:  Thu Jun 28, 2001  8:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Students who quit...

Quoting SMSchneider <smschneider@e...>:

> Dear Karen, Susan and listers,
>
> "Thank you for this thought-provoking post!"
Since I'm entering in the middle of this Subject,
forgive me if I may not be exactly following the thread,
but it is indeed throught-provoking.
As I now live in a small town, most of my voice
students are beginners (and quitters) of all ages.
Often their goals tend to be more vague
than as serious, perhaps, as what we often speak about
here, but nonetheless, all are entitled to learn well
(hopefully) and apply it as best they see fit in the
future. And many of them sound as if they could
certainly have a musical future.
That said, I am reminded of my well-worn carpet
which results from constantly pacing back and forth
between explaining why it is important (ie musically and
healthfully) to learn how to develop one's vocal
instrument and good vocal habits vs. being famous and
rich! (These days it seems as if the two are more and
more mutually exclusive.)
Not surprisingly, this is especially true in my
younger students, teens and even pre-teens, although it
is often the discussion which takes place with their
all-too-adult parents, who mean well enough for their
children but can't resist the idea that if they just
"push" them now (referring to a recent conversation I
had regarding a daughter, aged 7) who knows, but that
THEIR child could become the next Britany Spears in 10
years or less. [I'm sure we could invent any number of
subject threads just from that conversation alone.]
Contrasting with that, at the level which Susan
refers to, having just applied her finest-honed habits
to a brick wall of a response (which reminds me of a
similar experience), I can only say, if I try to
simplify it, it boils down to why we sing in the first
place--for me it's the music and the personal
experience of it. Remembering that has helped me
through high-pressured, nervous auditions, performances
and frustrating moments both in singing and in teaching.
Constructive criticism is just that--constructive.
It may be helpful, but hopefully not too needed. And
perhaps the fact that you were included in that
celebration is more a testament to your abilities than
said curmudgeon's response. After all, perhaps HE
figured it was HIS moment. (...in which case,
subsequent gracious thank you notes might have been
nice...)
So much for my mantra: "simplify, simplify...!"
Thanks for listening and listing...! --Erica

emusic.com