Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Date:  Thu Jun 28, 2001  12:10 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Students who quit...

Sandra wrote:

> My teacher once reflected that most students who are going to quit do so at
> after 1 year to 2 years. For those of you who teach privately, what's your
> experience?

My students (all professionally driven) usually stay with me for 10-12 years,
but they don't quit either. It's that their focus becomes different. Singing
changes in prospective and they go on in an advanced technical training program.

> I have read in more than one credible place that it takes 3-4 years of good
> vocal
> training to build a basic voice, and 6-8 to get it to professional quality.

Usually true depending upon when the student begins training.

> I have heard/seen many people say how fantastically
> their voice (or student's voice) developed in oh, just a year, or just 6
> months even, etc...and quite frankly I can't imagine it.

Well it can happen to the gifted student. I began Streisand at age 13 in vocal
coaching. She didn't need singing lessons, she knew how to sing. What she
lacked was the technical training. It took only six years for her to achieve a
degree of technical prowess and begin to soar. The rest is history.

My current professional student, ten year old Emily Hamilton, has completed her
basic four years of singing lessons in eight months, an unheard of time and she
is now into technical training. "In technique she is better than most adult
singers and in delivery there is none better," so says Keith Lockhart of the
Boston Symphony who is preparing her for her debut as a lyric soprano solo
artist in a concert this fall in Boston. After Boston she will be whisked off
to Utah for her debut with the Utah Symphony, backed up by the Mormon Tabernacle
Choir. But Emily is the exception. God only made one of her. As He made only
one Streisand. And one Beverly Sils.

http://www.mp3.com/emmy
"If you must be wrong,
then be wrong at the top of your voice!" (Lucy Van Pelt)

emusic.com