Vocalist.org archive

From:  EarlyMusik@a...
EarlyMusik@a...
Date:  Wed Jun 27, 2001  2:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] decisions, decisions.....

In a message dated 06/27/2001 5:52:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
denanny@h... writes:

<< Singing is my passion, my every spare minute, the love of my life. My
teacher recently more or less advised me to go get a professional education
(conservatory). I was REALLY happy with his advise... And I haven't stopped
thinking about it since.

I personally believe you should "follow your bliss," even though that phrase
tends to make me gag. I was almost 34 when I quit my day job (which
admittedly was nothing special because I had been temping) and went back to
grad school for my masters. I work as a singer/teacher full time and I do
okay. I'm extremely happy. I did break up with my husband because he wasn't
supportive of what I was doing but I have a partner now that IS. If your
partner is already supportive, it will make it easier.

<<But: I'd be in heaven! surrounding myself with music! Learning, learning!
<snip>
But: there are sooooo many pros and cons, one of them being my partner. He
supports my singing, I can even drag him along to all sorts of activities,
but a fulltime education will be one step too far for him. Should I listen to
him? I know that if it were just me, I'd have enrolled already. But it's not
just me.....>>

You didn't really say what he's saying - is he saying, "you do this and we're
thru" or "you do this and I won't be very happy," or "I have concerns that
there is going to be too much financial pressure on me." So I don't know
what he's saying that you should or should not be listening to.

If you can offer a plan - I'll take a part time job, I will contribute X
number of dollars per month to our household income, this will be for X
period of time, after which I can increase my contribution - perhaps that can
assuage his fears.

Good luck!

Christine Thomas
"For men are strong where we are weak ... they always think before they
speak."
(What fun is THAT?)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12893 Re: decisions, decisions..... Nande   Wed  6/27/2001   3 KB
12896 Re: decisions, decisions..... Karen Mercedes   Wed  6/27/2001   8 KB
12897 Re: decisions, decisions..... Nande   Wed  6/27/2001   4 KB
12898 Re: decisions, decisions..... John Link   Wed  6/27/2001   2 KB
12899 Re: decisions, decisions..... Nande   Wed  6/27/2001   2 KB
12900 Re: decisions, decisions..... John Link   Wed  6/27/2001   2 KB

emusic.com