Vocalist.org archive

From:  Nancy Fontana <cantabella_nf@y...>
Nancy Fontana <cantabella_nf@y...>
Date:  Wed Jun 27, 2001  12:23 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] NO VIBRATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--- arado_ge@y... wrote:
> I seem to have one of those "pure" voices. I
> can not do a vibrato.

Hi Arado and list -
First - Roger Wagner would have worshiped
at your feet. He was constantly trying to rid
his chorale of the overly soloistic vibrato
endowed voices even though he enjoyed the
"fat" sound we brought to the chorale. In
one instance he had to ask the wonderful
Carol Vaness to cancel touring with him
as she had a rather difficult voice to blend.
(I dealt with the problem by singing 2nd
soprano or 1st Alto in his group.

Anyway ......you may just have a voice that
is better suited to "early " or german
repertoire.
Voices well suited for Baroque Oratorio tend
to be slightly less endowed with ample vibrato.
I had sort of a "white" sound when I was
young but my vibrato is quite natural and healthy
now.
If you havn't tried this, try hanging your head
COMPLETELY relaxed (as if you've fallen asleep
standing up) .......relax ALL of the facial
muscles and just the let the air flow through a
kinda of non ah (ish) Oh (ish) vowel that
centers air like a funnel in front of your nose
and mouth.
By the way...hanging your head should release any
tension from the neck or lower jaw area which can
stop a young persons vibrato.
Good Luck,
Nancy

=====