Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue Jun 26, 2001  7:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] NO VIBRATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's certainly possible that a vibrato just won't happen, but unlikely. I
wish I could spend just a half-hour with you and I could 'trick' you into
producing a vibrato. It's important to realise that, although one may 'do'
all sorts of things to begin to get the idea of how a vibrato feels - it is
essentially a natural thing resulting from freedom or dynamic relaxation.
For what it's worth, I first noticed a vibrato in my own voice at about
age 39, after singing in a very controlled way in choirs for much of my
life. I was tired, had been assigned what turned out to be a big solo part
in Praetorius' Christmas Oratorio. I had just been sick, hadn't sung for a
few days and thought that I would sit at the piano and look through this
music. I played it over on the piano (saving my voice, you see) and got it
into my head before I tried to sing this unfamiliar stuff. When I started
to sing, there was a vibrato. perhaps if I had been full of energy I could
have controlled the hell out of it, but, being low key I observed what it
felt like, and tried to remember the feeling. By the way the subsequent
richness in my voice and the drama of the performance led to me getting
many of the plum solo gigs in this community, and encouraged me to really
develop my solo instrument.
May you have such fortune. john