Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Mon Jun 25, 2001  7:25 pm
Subject:  OFF: How john found the marathon

Just in case anyone in singerland is interested:
My first Marathon, in Winnipeg on June 17th, was one of the peak events of
my life, partly because of the amazing week-long (so far) endorphin high;
partly because of the fact that I actually like long distance running
anyway; partly the tremendous support a runner gets from other runners and
from warm-hearted spectators; but perhaps mostly because I planned for it,
trained for it and succeeded in bringing it off. The first half was a good
enjoyable run; miles 14-19 were solid work; the last six miles were agony
heaped upon agony and crowned by the most remarkably tangible feeling of
accomplishment as the finisher's medal (all marathoner deserve medals, you
see, not just the people who come in first) was slipped over my head.
I took 3 hours 59 minutes and 39 seconds to cover 26 miles and 385 yards
(about 42 kilometres). The fellow who came first did it in a little over 2
hours and 27 minutes. The person who came last (just as heroic, I think)
took a little over 6 hours. 855 people started; 789 completed it. I was #278.
It's definitely something I want to do again. Now I have a P.R., which is
a Personal Record and the only sensible time to try and beat, unless you
are uniquely gifted in ability/determination. But we already know about
"sensible" don't we? john
John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12859 Re: OFF: How john found the marathon Ernie Valenzuela   Mon  6/25/2001   2 KB

emusic.com