Vocalist.org archive

From:  dclark <DCLARK@r...>
dclark <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Wed Jun 20, 2001  10:48 pm
Subject:  Here's the second one again! (Rats NATS)

>===== Original Message From Naomi Gurt Lind

>You didn't ask for repertoire suggestions but I can't resist making
this
>one. Have you and your teacher considered the Copland Vocalise?
Copland
>is the quintessential American composer -- and of course nobody says
your
>American song has to have words! (Ives also wrote some songs in
German, as
>I recall.)

Actually, in most NATS regions, I think the language is probably
specified.
E.g., in the Mid-South Region, our requirement (I believe) is "one
twentieth-century British, Canadian, or American art song in English."
The
requirement is no doubt being modified to include the 21st century! If
the
language is specified, I would avoid using a vocalise that has no words,

since one is better off not choosing exceptions or oddities in a
competition.

--
|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair, Music Department
| Rhodes College, 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
| 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://www.rhodes.edu

emusic.com