Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Tue Jun 19, 2001  4:58 pm
Subject:  re: Met regional auditions-thoughts?

Molly wrote:

>This year I am seriously considering auditioning for the district level of
>the Met auditions. Of course I am prepared to "not advance" and possibly see
>some comments I would rather not see....but NEED to see....I just think this
>might be a good experience for me. Am I crazy?
>I just turned 21, and I realize I am up against people who are much more
>experienced than myself.......of course I am scared of the whole formal
>process, but I think I need this dose of reality and kick in the arse. Any
>thoughts on all of this? Another challenge, of course, is putting together 5
>arias that not only contrast but suit my voice and age well. Not gonna be
>too easy!

I don't think you're crazy, Molly. I think it's wonderful that you want
feedback from people with the highest standards and that you're open to
learning from it. My suggestion is that you can get that information in a
less public context, and in a way that will be more individualized to you.

Maybe you can ask your teacher to set up a meeting with a highly regarded
coach or conductor of his/her acquaintance, strictly for you to get some
input on where you might be headed. The person can tell you what you need
to work on and because s/he has the contact with your teacher, the whole
enterprise is likely to be regarded less as an audition (which has certain
types of consequences) and more like an informational meeting (which has
different types of consequences).

My feeling about the big competitions is that one doesn't do them only to
win, but also to get exposure. (It's not only the judges who hear you in
most competitions but also an audience which can include conductors,
presenters, etc.) If your skills are not ready for that kind of exposure,
it might be wise to put your energy toward a different project. You can't
make a second first impression! On the other hand if you and your teacher
and coaches think you are ready for that kind of exposure, singing a
competition can give you some great opportunities, even if you don't win.

Best of luck, whatever you decide! You're very smart to weigh your options
carefully.

Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com