Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Tue Jun 19, 2001  4:44 pm
Subject:  re: Rats, NATS!

Paul wrote:

>My teacher is going to enroll me in the Spring NATS competition.
>The NATS competition requirements state you *have* to have an
>American Composer somewhere in there. What gets me is that you have
>to have this even if your voice is geared more towards Bel Canto or
>the Baroque repertoire.

You didn't ask for repertoire suggestions but I can't resist making this
one. Have you and your teacher considered the Copland Vocalise? Copland
is the quintessential American composer -- and of course nobody says your
American song has to have words! (Ives also wrote some songs in German, as
I recall.)

Good luck!
Naomi

P.S. I have the opposite situation. I love singing new music and am not
particularly stellar on bel canto or Baroque. At some point we do get the
chance to be what we are, but in school it can be tough if your affinities
are very strong in one direction.

emusic.com