Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Tue Jun 19, 2001  1:45 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] MED (somewhat): Question about noise levels

>...towards the end
>of the applause I developed pain in my ear, as if pressure were
>building. Since then I've had minor ear aches and sustained ringing in
>my ear (well, more than usual and at a different frequency. I had a
>bit of ear trauma about two years ago which left me with occasional
>ringing in the ears). My ears also seem to be a bit more sensitive to
>noise since the performance.

This does not sound as though it had anything to do with the applause or
your own volume. It is theoretically possible to have sound pressure
damage to the ears if one is singing directly into someone's ear at high
volume, but sound like other forms of energy dissipates as an inverse
square of the distance from the source. Thus doubling the distance
reduces the power by a factor of four, tripling the distance reduces the
power by a factor of nine and so on.

There are many possible reasons for the sensation you felt. The best
thing is to have your ears, nose and throat evaluated.

John

emusic.com