Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...>
Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...>
Date:  Tue Jun 19, 2001  10:46 am
Subject:  Re: MED (somewhat): Question about noise levels

Michael wrote:
>Opera singer do create the dB level needed to damage some people's
>hearing.

Lovely, just lovely. I think I have a normal sized voice, with weekly
1 hour lessons and several practice sessions at home.

>Are you taking aspirin?--it causes tinnitus. Do you swim often? Do
>you possibly have water in your ear? ... viral infection? ...
>allergies? ... drinking alcohol?

No to all of the above. Although it does feel like I'm heading for a
bit of an ear ache and I may have to give up on the "no allergies"
stance. I seem to have problems keeping the eustachian tubes clear at
all times (e.g., problems equalising pressure, popping of ears when I
swallow), even when I take decongestants, anti-histamines, etc.
Unfortunately every ENT I've in past years has been of absolutely zero
help on trying to resolve this issue.

>What was the nature of your ear trauma?

Intense pressure in right ear at the performance. Tinnitus and
"stuffy" in both ears since then. The tinnitus seems to be getting a
bit better every day (i.e., returning to "normal" levels). I do feel
like I hear myself speak with a slight echo occasionally.

>Have you had a tympanogram done?

I think yes (testing of how ear drum responds to pressure was done
about 3 years ago).

>Maybe you should just see your ENT asap.

I am trying, but first I have to go through my GP. The UK health
system works pretty much like an HMO so that's the first port of call.

Thank you for the help.

Ingo

P.S. Mike, I think that was the first time anyone ever referred to me
as a victim. Not sure I'm enjoying that description. ;)

http://buzz.yahoo.com/

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13086 MED: Eustacian tube disfunction + Nasonex ingo_d@y...   Mon  7/9/2001   2 KB
13093 Re: MED: Eustacian tube disfunction + Nasonex agoldhammer@y...   Mon  7/9/2001   2 KB
13117 Re: MED: Eustacian tube disfunction + Nasonex John Messmer, M.D.   Wed  7/11/2001   4 KB

emusic.com