Vocalist.org archive

From:  Nancy Fontana <cantabella_nf@y...>
Nancy Fontana <cantabella_nf@y...>
Date:  Tue Jun 19, 2001  6:20 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Rats, NATS!

--- promero@w... wrote:
> A reply to the rest:
> yourself by turning it
> into an Italian e, the judges say you're not
> using the correct diction. I'm more
>preoccupied with acquiring the right >placement
of the sound in the italian vowels -
> which are the best conductors of sound- in
> order to become like it or not- they're the
>best vowels to produce >sound--ESPECIALLY >for
tenors

As for ALL singers......
The European mindset on this issue is .......
the vocal beauty takes presidence. AND Nats
would benefit from realizing that many of our
great singers from Europe have less than
ideal pronunciation of Languages other than
their native tongue. Some examples of this
are......Mirella Freni (who sings "Italian"
French) :-)
Tebaldi occasionally sang in german but
did not like to sing in any language but her
own Italian.
Joan Sutherland was constantly ripped in
reviews regarding her "vowel modification"
in her upper voice. C'mon, we don't listen
to Bellini for the words. We listen because the
SOUND is superior!!!
I just hate to see young singers be told they'll
can't have a career without perfect "diction".
Please.......
Ok I'm done. Sometimes the over organization of
Arts lead to a stuffiness akin
to the over zealous "church board". E Vero?
Nancy

> with this repertory
> because you have developed the technique I am
> still in the process of
> developing.
>
> To Robin:
>
> (Now if I
> > only had the time to DO it!)
>
> Well, I don't speak Italian ( I can understand
> it) but I can help you
> translate them into Spanish, which is exactly
> like italian except
> that ch is a Ch (instead of a K) and a C is
> just a normal C (S if it
> goes in front of the e or the i, and K before
> every other vowel)
>
> > Incidentally, did they say WHICH American
> composers you could
> choose
> > from, or could it be a new fledgling one? ;)
>
> It could be a fledgling one, as long as they
> don't have me singing
> obscene vowels in the passaggio--- I'm still a
> student, chrissakes :P
>
> I read the most infurating post today on
> another forum, in it the
> lady said "However, most of Italian song
> literature is more
> appropriate for playing on an accordian at a
> theme restaurant than
> for singing in public.". It reminds me why we
> singers are famed for
> being the snobs of the music world (after the
> poor ballet dancers!).
>
> Oh well, I've vented enough :p

=====
Nancy Fontana