Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
"michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Tue Jun 19, 2001  4:32 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] MED (somewhat): Question about noise levels

At 12:38 PM 6/18/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>I had a rather nasty experience listen to an opera last week -- after a
>great aria the house erupted into a prolonged applause, towards the end
>of the applause I developed pain in my ear, as if pressure were
>building. Since then I've had minor ear aches and sustained ringing . . .

>Clearly I'm worried about having damaged my ears. . .

Opera singer do create the dB level needed to damage some people's hearing.
That's the kicker, everybody sustains damage at a different level. Are
you taking aspirin?--it causes tinnitus. Do you swim often? Do you
possibly have water in your ear? That can cause all kinds of uncomfortable
problems especially when combined with a cerumen (ear wax) plug. What was
the nature of your ear trauma? How loudly do you sing? How much and how
often? Do you have allergies? Have you had a viral infection lately that
effected your nasal passages or ears? Is the problem in one ear or both?
Do you drink alcohol frequently? How much? Have you had a tympanogram done?

Maybe you should just see your ENT asap.

Best of luck!

Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2122

emusic.com