Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
"Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
Date:  Tue Jun 19, 2001  2:27 am
Subject:  Re: Met Regional Auditions-thoughts?

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "Molly McLinden" <vocalist-temporary@y..., "Molly McLinden" < > This year I am seriously considering auditioning for the district
level of
> the Met auditions.

Molly-

It has been over ten years now since I did them , so some of this
information may be old. The three times I did them, I did not get
comments from the judges either written or in person. Now, I made no
effort to talk to the judges, either, so that might be a factor.

At least back then there was a limit to the number of times you could
do them without at least advancing to the next round (three, I
believe.) If that is still the case, I would wait if I were you.

21-year olds do win on occasion. The first time I did them there were
two singers who advanced from North Texas to the regional: Patricia
Racette and myself. Pat was about 21 if memory serves and she got
the "encouragement award" at the Regionals. I got NADA. (Not that I'm
bitter!)

Good luck, but my recommendation is always: try to do competitions
where you are basically competing with singers your own age. Look for
competitions that have two levels, like the NOA which had (or had,
anyway) "Scholarship" and "Young Artist" categories.

emusic.com