Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Tue Jun 19, 2001  12:14 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Rats, NATS!

Well, I don't have that problem. My problem is keeping my Fluffyan American
vowels out of the Italian and French.

>From: promero@w...
>
> My teacher is going to enroll me in the Spring NATS competition.
>The NATS competition requirements state you *have* to have an
>American Composer somewhere in there. What gets me is that you have
>to have this even if your voice is geared more towards Bel Canto or
>the Baroque repertoire. I find that bit incredibly annoying. If I
>were meant to sing John Duke, I would have been born with the voice,
>n'est pas? ...Considering the Italian consonants are ideal for the
>best sound.

I'm assuming that we're talking about a Usonian (peculiar to USA) composer?
Otherwise, "American" could pertain to Mexico, Argentina, or even your
native land of Ecuador.

Samuel Barber composed a set of songs to French texts. And I'm sure some
other Usonians have composed Spanish songs or church music in Latin. Oh....
Karen M.???

And if you do love early music, there's a particular favorite of mine, "My
Master hath a garden" by Randall Thompson. The text is 17th-century
anonymous, and Thompson's music evokes the style of that period quite well.

Hope you're feeling better. Keep the rose hip tea coming.

Elizabeth Finkler
Sunnyvale, California
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

"If you must be wrong, be wrong at the top of your voice!" --Lucy Van Pelt

12726 Re: Rats, NATS! Margaret Harrison   Tue  6/19/2001   3 KB
12727 Re: Rats, NATS! Molly McLinden   Tue  6/19/2001   3 KB
12731 Re: Rats, NATS! Scott Drackley   Tue  6/19/2001   3 KB
12738 Re: Rats, NATS! james   Tue  6/19/2001   2 KB
12745 Re: Rats, NATS! Naomi Gurt Lind   Tue  6/19/2001   2 KB
12748 Re: Rats, NATS! leskayc@a...   Tue  6/19/2001   2 KB
12752 Fear concerning NATS promero@w...   Tue  6/19/2001   2 KB
12755 Re: Fear concerning NATS Jeffrey Snider   Wed  6/20/2001   2 KB
12749 Re: Rats, NATS! Barry Bounous   Tue  6/19/2001   2 KB

emusic.com