Vocalist.org archive

From:  <info@g...>
<info@g...>
Date:  Sun Jun 17, 2001  10:20 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Coloratura, Flexibility

Dear Pablo,

ever tried the Sieber Vocalises for tenor ? (Thirty-Six Eight-Measure Vocalises
for Tenor, Vol.114, opus 95, Schirmer Editions). Sieber was an Italian-trained
Vienna voice teacher who composed these vocalises for his students. Each voice
category has its own music, so be sure to choose the appropriate one.

- The vocalises train a "narrow upper passaggio" which is crucial (for any
voice type) in order to reach and sing freely in the high register;

- Use of the Italian syllables (da me ni po tu la be), so the lower jaw is
separated from the tongue;

- Sieber goes from a closed vowel to an open one (or reverse), so the ring of
the closed vowel blends into the space of the open vowel (and reverse);

- Use of the vowel alteration to balance the registers.

Since the vocalises are composed for each voice category (bass, baritone,
tenor, alto, mezzo, soprano) any singer can improve. I have never understood
why they are not more popular among voice teachers, students, singers, and
music stores !

Enjoy !

Gilles Denizot
baritone - voice teacher