Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Date:  Sun Apr 30, 2000  4:47 am
Subject:  Re: Fw: [vocalist-temporary] Re: MP3 Recorder

Rachel Hughes wrote:

> what I'm looking for is the best possible medium for recording my own voice
> lessons.

Then what you need is a reasonably good tape recorder (portable/desk) and a
superior microphone which does not induce harmonic distortion and records
without coloration of any kind. The microphone will probably cost more than the
tape recorder which is as it should be. With the proper vocal microphone you
will have the best opportunity to hear your voice as others hear it

The reason I suggest tape is that all other digital recording units decode the
incoming signal into fragments and then choose, say one out of every four
fragments which it places into the format. The purest form of recorded aural
sounds is tape (analog) or wave (digital) neither of which uses a subtractive
method for storing signals, a method which shrinks the size of the
file/recording but in doing so, decreases the overall sound quality. An MP3
recorder discards quite a bit of the recorded signal and then, using
electronics, attempts to restore that signal to what it was originally. But it
cannot. It is almost akin to taking back what you have said in anger. It can't
be done.

The purest, non-coloring microphones I have ever used for voice are made by
Earthworks. You can find them at http://www.earthwks.com at prices which are
reasonable for the common man. As to recorders (pardon the use of these next
two words) Radio Shack has a very good single deck without bells and whistles
and made by Bowman for them for $79.
The others at RS are junque in comparison. This unit accepts metal tape, a
wonderful medium for storing precious sound files over decades of time.

Hope this helps.

Dean

--
Dean FH Macy, Lit.D./Mus.D.

"Specializing in Management of exceptionally talented youth in Music"
<http://www.newenglandtalent.org> EPI Records - NetWork Films

"Making children do something they don't want to do is the job of the parents.
If that doesn't work, there are always juvenile detention centers." - Mike R.
-

emusic.com