Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Jun 14, 2001  2:03 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Practicing Dilemma

1) Is there a better location in the house for practising? If so, I
suggest you get yourself a pitchpipe, or better yet, an inexpensive
electronic keyboard, and practise in that better location. Remember the
point of practising is not to sit and accompany yourself fully on the
piano while you sing. I can't even play piano beyond "hunt and peck", so
for me the piano is a tool for picking out the melody line on music I'm
learning, and for checking my intonation when I'm vocalising, nothing
more.

2) Is there a chance that you could arrange with a local church to
practise in their choral practice room occasionally? Particularly if you
already have an affiliation with some church, and better yet know their
music director, you may be able to arrange this. I find Catholic churches
tend to be "open" longer hours than other denominations, in terms of
things being unlocked and accessible. Also, churches with schools attached
may let you use one of their classrooms as a practice venue (again, a
portable keyboard will widen your possibilities).

3) Is there a university in your area? Does it have a music facility?
There are universities and colleges near me, I know, that have practice
rooms that aren't strictly monitored, particularly not in the summer. As
long as one is respectful, one can usually use these rooms without anyone
even noticing. The last apartment I lived in, I found it very hard to
practise there because of intolerant neighbours. So instead, I found three
different area colleges/universities with accessible practice rooms, and
divided my practice sessions among them.

4) Is there any time of day when your house is less populated? It's summer
- perhaps there's some time of day, or certain days of the week, when
people are more likely not to be around. I'd schedule your home practices
around those times of day.

5) If you can overcome your inhibitions, I'd also suggest finding a
semi-remote location outdoors - in a park, for example - where you can
feel comfortable vocalising.

6) Don't eliminate your car as another possible practice venue. It's not
ideal, certainly, because sitting in the car is not an ideal body
configuration. But it's better than the alternative of not practising at
all. You don't have to actually be DRIVING - it's better if you're not.
Instead, just sit in the car in the driveway at home, or drive to a school
parking lot or some such less-populated place, park the car, and sing
away. The pitchpipe is a useful tool for this kind of practising.

KM
NEIL SHICOFF, TENORE SUPREMO
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Own Website